Community Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfaelog, Isle of Anglesey


The National School in Llanfaelog was built on glebe land and opened in 1849 at a total cost of £669. By 1904 the school had closed down, the building being used as a church hall until sold by the church authorities. In more recent years it has been used as a community centre for the village.


A mid C19 rural school building; symmetrically planned, 2-storey with advanced gable wings to each end, a modern, single-storey, lean-to addition at the rear. Built of local rubble with gritstone dressings and moulded kneelers; slate roof with rendered stacks. The principal elevation faces the road to the W; the left (N) and right (S) advanced, gabled wings with mirrored openings at each gable end. Each has a depressed, pointed-arched headed outer doorway and a 3-light, 6-pane, casement window alongside; above the window the elevation is broken by a moulded string. The first floor has a single, 6-pane casement window above the doorway and a similarly detailed 2-light casement over the window. Gable apex detail differs: the N wing has a weathered gritstone panel (once probably bearing the name of the school) and a pointed opening housing the school bell, the S wing has a narrow ventilation slit. The linking block has a 3-light, mullioned, casement window offset to the right (S) end; the lower part of the central light has been altered to accommodate a square-headed doorway. The S wall has a 6-pane casement window to the W and a similarly detailed paired casement to the E. To the rear (E) of the S wing there is a square-headed doorway to the left (S) end (reached by 5 stone steps), and a 3-light, 6-pane casement to the right. The first floor has similarly detailed windows; a single window above the door, a paired window to the right. The ground floor openings have the remains of render over the stone lintels, the doorway with a stressed keystone.


Modernised when the hall was converted for use as a community centre.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a good example of a rural schoolhouse, designed according to Gothic Revival principles and retaining much of its original character. The school is one of a series of such buildings built on the island throughout the C19, and a particularly well-preserved example. Prominently sited within the centre of the village and forming a focal point for the village landscape, the church forms a group with the nearby Rectory and church of St. Maelog.

Entry Name: Llanfaelog Community Centre
Location: Prominently sited in the centre of the village and on the opposite side of the road from the Church of St. Maelog.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Llanfaelog
Locality: Llanfaelog
Listing Date: 7 September 1998
Last Amended: 7 September 1998
Grade: II
Source: Cadw
Building Class: Recreational
Source ID: 20424

NPRN 417452
Map Reference SH37SW
Grid Reference SH3368072920
Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey
Old County Anglesey
Community Llanfaelog
Broad Class Education
Period 19th Century

Site Description The National School at Llanfaelog was opened in 1849 and functioned as a school until 1904 when it closed. The two storey building was then used as a Church Hall and presently it is the Community Centre for the village of Llanfaelog.